TRC intensive courses and special weekend workshops 2013
The Textile Research Centre regularly organises intensive courses and special weekend workshops for small groups of students (there is generally a maximum of eight) and others who are interested in various aspects of textiles and dress. The participants will use the large collection of textiles and dress of the TRC, plus other facilities (library, raw fibre collection spinning, dying and weaving equipment, monocular and stereoscopic microscopes, etc.). All courses are taught in English, unless otherwise agreed by all participants. The weekend workshops are in Dutch, unless otherwise agreed. The programme always starts at 09.00 o’clock in the morning, unless otherwise indicated, and runs until 17.00.
- Lecturer: The courses are given by Dr Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood, director of the TRC, assisted by one or more TRC staff. Dr Vogelsang studied textile and costume history, followed by a PhD in archaeological textiles from the Roman period in Egypt (Manchester University). Dr. Vogelsang-Eastwood is a professional textile and dress historian with over 25 years experience in the field. She is also one of the editors of the Berg Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion, and author of numerous books and articles in the field of Middle Eastern textiles and dress.
- Fees: Upon registration the TRC will send you an invoice for half of the costs (a non-returnable deposit), to be transferred not less than six weeks before the start of the course. The remainder can be paid on the first day of the programme.
- Location: TRC, Hogewoerd 164, 2311 HW Leiden, The Netherlands
Courses and weekend workshops:
- Three-day course: Basic Weave Techniques and Identification, 4-6 February 2013
- Weekend workshop on Pharaonic Egyptian Textiles and Dress, 16-17 March 2013
- Weekend workshop on Iranian Textiles and Dress Throughout the Ages, 27-28 April
- Five-day Intensive Textile Course, 13-17 May 2013;
- Three-day course: Identification of Painted and Printed Textiles, 17-19 June 2013;
- Three-day course: Basic Embroidery Identification, 12-14 August 2013,
- Weekend workshop on Embroidery in the Arab World, 24-25 August;
- Weekend workshop on 'Coptic' Textiles and Dress, 21-22 September
- Five-day Intensive Textile Course, 14-18 October 2013
- Weekend workshop on Veils and Veiling, 23-24 November 2013
TRC in a nutshell
Hogewoerd 164, 2311 HW Leiden. Tel. +31 (0)71 5134144 / +31 (0)6 28830428 email@example.com
Opening times: Monday to Thursday: 10.00-16.00 hrs, other days by appointment.
Exhibition, from 23 January until 30 May 2013: Beyond the Chador. Entrance is free, but donations are welcome !
Guided exhibition tour, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 14.00 - 15.30 hrs. Fees: €7.50
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnWorkshop on preparing fibres before the spinning process. WWnnnnnnnW
May 20: TRC closed
May 22: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50May 15: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50 May
May 15: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50 May 15: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50 May 23: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50
May 29: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50
May 30: Guided tour of the Iran exhibition, 14.00-15.30 hrs, € 7.50
- Newsletter Spring 2013
- TRC Update winter 2013
- Newsletter Summer 2012
- Newsletter Spring 2012
- Special Newsletter November 2011
- Newsletter August-December 2011
- Annual Report 2010
- Annual Report 2011
FACEBOOK: click here