The online exhibition Out of Asia is based on a TRC Gallery display with the title Out of Asia: 2000 Years of Textiles. It was presented at the Textile Research Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands, from 15 July until 15 August 2019, on the occasion of the International Convention of Asia Scholars (ICAS), which was held at Leiden, between 15-19 July.
The ICAS conference, which attracted some 2300 scholars and others interested in Asian Studies and which was organised by the International Institute for Asian Studies (Leiden), had as its theme 'Asia and Europe, Asia in Europe.' The TRC exhibition Out of Asia complemented the theme with a display of textiles that all reflected on the age-old textile contacts between Asia and Europe. The exhibition at the TRC furthermore coincided with an intensive programme of practical workshops and lectures, which all attracted many participants and a large audience.
The online exhibition is separated into nine separate sections, and each section contains a gallery of objects. All of the objects form part of the TRC collection, and the illustrations give access to the TRC online catalogue for more information. Enjoy!
- Author: Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood
- Web-design: Joost Koopman
- Exhibition design: Willem Vogelsang
- Publisher: TRC Leiden.
- Year of publication: 2019
- Copyright: All illustrations of objects housed in the TRC collection can be used free of charge, but please add to the caption: "Courtesy Textile Research Centre, Leiden" and the pertinent accession number of the object.