Print this page

Göss Chasuble

The front of the Göss Chasuble. The front of the Göss Chasuble.

The so-called Göss chasuble is a thirteenth century silk garment now housed in the Museum für Angewandte Kunst in Vienna, but originating from the former Benedictine abbey/convent of Göss (Stift Göss), in Styria, Austria. The convent itself was closed in 1782. This vestment and other pieces from the Abbey are generally ascribed to the Abbess Kunegunde (1265-1321) and were to be worn by priest, deacon and sub-deacon.

The present shape of the vestment dates back to not before the sixteenth century, but the embroidered remains are much older. Ther are worked on a linen ground with coloured silk thread, with long-armed cross stitch, long and short stitch, and perhaps counted stem stitch. The front shows a representation of the Crucifixion, with eight Apostles in two rows of arcades embroidered underneath. The back shows the Enthroned Christ with the emblems of the four Evangelists, and underneath nine angels, corresponding to the angels on the back.

When the chasuble was reshaped, remaining parts may have been used for the cope, belonging to the same ensemble of garments.

Sources:

  • POLAK, Melanie (1938). '"The Vienna "Gösser Ornat" and a stole and two maniples in London', The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs Vol. 73, No. 426 (Sep., 1938), pp. 115-117+120-121
  • SCHUETTE, Marie and MULLER-CHRISTENSEN, Sigrid (1964). The Art of Embroidery, London: Thames and Hudson.

Digital source (retrieved 8 May 2016).

Digital source of illustration (retrieved 2 September 2016).

WV

Last modified on Saturday, 11 March 2017 19:07